Believe it or not, many people who care about the environment still have no idea that raising animals for food is so incredibly destructive.
Consider some of these facts:
- Animal agriculture wastes a lot of water. In fact, just one burger requires 660 gallons of water to produce—the equivalent of two months’ worth of showers.
- Because animals are so densely packed on today's industrial farms, they produce more manure than can be absorbed by the land as fertiliser. The runoff from these facilities grossly contaminates rivers and ground water.
- Animal agriculture is culpable for nearly 91 percent of Amazon destruction according to The World Bank.
- Raising animals for food (including land for grazing and growing feed crops) now uses over one-third of the earth’s landmass.
- Factory farms have created more than 500 nitrogen-flooded dead zones throughout the world’s oceans.
- Raising animals for food produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all of the cars, planes, and other forms of transportation combined.
- Animals raised for food produce 7 million pounds of excrement every minute.
- A pound of beef requires 13 percent more fossil fuels to produce than a pound of soy.
- Overfishing is pushing our oceans to the brink of collapse, with over 90 percent of large fish at risk for total extinction.
But there’s good news too! Going vegan immediately cuts your CO2 emissions in half and spares countless animals from a lifetime of suffering on factory farms.
So what are you waiting for? Click here to order your FREE Vegetarian Starter Guide.